Friday, April 10, 2015

The Babcock Grist Mill, The Island in the Sky, and Lover's Leap at Hawk's Nest

Hello Appalachia!

     I apologize for the weeks of no posts, but the semester is ending, and I am up to my eyeballs in chemistry tests. Luckily, I got a nice break last weekend. We ventured to Craigsville last weekend to see my parents for Easter, and we took the scenic route back home to Huntington. This route goes through Fayette County, the home of Babcock State Park and Hawk's Nest State Park.

     Our first stop was the Grist Mill at Babcock. The current mill is called the Glade Creek Grist Mill, and it's an operational replica (completed in 1976) of Cooper's Mill, which existed at this location before Babcock was even considered to be a state park. This mill was constructed using salvaged parts from three other West Virginia mills: Stoney Creek Grist Mill, Spring Run Grist Mill, and the Onego Grist Mill. During the tourist season, the mill is open for visitors to view the inner workings.


     The water wheel is powered by the adjacent stream, obviously. Right next to the mill, is a lovely waterfall. I've loved waterfalls ever since I first saw Pocahontas dive off of one with her raccoon in tow.  This waterfall isn't exactly dive-worthy, but it had been pouring the rain the previous week, so the stream was swollen and the falls were gushing. There are several paths and stairs down to the stream, and we rested in the cool spray of the falls for a few minutes before continuing our journey. 


Next, we crossed the bridge and headed on to some other attractions at Babcock.


     A road goes up the hill, and at the end of that road is Boley Lake. During the warmer months, it offers fishing, paddle boats, and various other water activities. We didn't stay long at this part of the park, but I would love to come back in the summer and try out a paddle boat. 


     On the way back down the curvy hill, we saw a sign marking the entrance of a trail. I was still in my Easter dress and very inappropriate shoes, but I allowed myself to be talked into at least checking it out. I admit, the sign was intriguing, and I was curious to see what it was telling me to be cautious of. 


     I don't especially hate heights, but I'll be the first to point out that I'm clumsy; combine that with the aforementioned shoe situation, and you'll understand why I was so nervous. The trail is about half a mile from the parking area, and you're pretty much swallowed in laurel bushes from Step 1. They're the state flower for a reason, right? Along the main trail, there are a few small trails that lead to craggy outcroppings of rock. For the life of me, I cannot find a decent topographic map, so I can't tell you how high these cliffs were, but we were above the treetops, and my knees have never shaken so hard in my life. 

     The ledge we stood on was probably 5 or 6 feet wide, and the view was remarkable. All fear aside, this was an amazing experience. I just want to spend the rest of my life on the edge of a cliff in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I live in the Appalachian Mountains, and there is ample opportunity for this! 
Smile through the fear.

      We eventually tiptoed back down the mountain and headed toward our last stop of the day. Hawk's Nest State Park is located in nearby Ansted, and the overlook provides a lovely view of the New River Valley. The last time we went to Hawk's Nest, we saw an actual hawk. I know hawks are common, but it was a hawk at Hawk's Nest, it was cool. This park has numerous activities to offer, including an aerial tram and jetboat rides. I haven't ridden the tram yet, but I intend to try it as soon as I can. I'm also going to mention that whitewater rafting is a popular activity, not only here, but in most of the state parks in Fayette County, home of the famous New River.


     Once again, I'll leave you with a local legend. The overlook is located on a 585 foot bluff that overlooks the New River Gorge. It was referred to as Lover's Leap by settlers, and it involved a tale of two young lovers from two different Native American tribes who committed suicide over cultural obstacles in their romance. An alternate version of the legend involves two young settlers whose parents would not allow them to be married, and they ran away to the bluff, where the young woman accidentally fell, and the man jumped after her in his grief. I'm adding a link that has detailed accounts of both versions, and it's much better written. I personally like the one with the Native Americans jumping together in defiance.


Have a great day! 

Do you have any favorite hiking spots/overlooks/waterfalls? Do you know any Appalachian legends? I'd love to hear them and learn some new places to explore! Drop me a line at mountainbloodwv@gmail.com

Also, I'm looking for someone to be April's Featured Appalachian! If you know someone (parents/grandparents/friends/authors/etc.) that has helped to shape your Appalachian experience, please get in touch at the above email address. 


1 comment:

  1. Love it! I've been to both places many years ago so it is nice to read someone else's perspective on them! Good job! S

    ReplyDelete