Sunday, July 19, 2015

July's Featured Appalachian!

Hello Appalachia!

     My summer biochemistry class is in full swing, and I am learning all about scurvy and perms and the horrors of thalidomide (see morning sickness, 1960s). I managed to get enough homework done to write up a quick post about this month's Featured Appalachian before the next onslaught of rain comes...hopefully I won't end up floating on a mattress in the Ohio River. So kick back, possibly on a raft, and check out the life story of my mom's neighbor, a lady called Lovonne.

     Almeda "Lovonne" Mullens Moore was one of five children belonging to Lloyd and Olive Mullens of Nicholas County, West Virginia. Olive was a homemaker, but she briefly worked in the kitchen of the Craigsville Motel, and Lloyd was a coal miner. Her chores growing up were feeding the animals on the farm, helping prepare meals, and helping with housework, she was also responsible for the sewing and laundry. She completed the 12th grade, and her first paid job was working at the Craigsville Drive-In (editors note: this theater should be re-opened instead of just serving as a large screen in the middle of a cow field). She first had a TV in 1950 and indoor plumbing in 1952.
Olive and Lloyd Mullens

Lovonne (I think in the white dress) with her brothers, sister, and parents. 
     Lovonne married her husband Alva Moore 1957. Together they have 4 children, 7 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren. She has lived all but two months of her life in West Virginia, which she has enjoyed. She likes to watch the seasons change and take walks in nature while enjoying the beauty of West Virginia.
Lovonne and Alva with their children.

Stay dry and thanks for reading! 

Is there someone you would like to see as the Featured Appalachian? I'd love to hear about it at mountainbloodwv@gmail.com, or on Facebook under MountainBlood WV. 
   


2 comments:

  1. I love this story and your idea. I love the pictures. I love it. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cela Sawyers BurgeJuly 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM

    Great profile! I went to school with Tim Moore!

    ReplyDelete